APA format requires that your paper include:
- A cover or title page
- The paper itself (body/text)
- A references page
- Appendices (if necessary)
We strongly recommend that you:
- Gather citations for the sources you plan to use as you do your research
- Prepare your reference page BEFOREyou write your paper
- Check the Tips & Hints section for time savers
- Use Citation Generators & database "Cite" features with caution - great as starting points, but not 100% accurate
With these two tasks done, you can simply insert your references as you cite them, greatly simplifying the task!
Review the sections of this box for specific tips about each section of your paper, more resources & helpful videos that explain how to apply APA formatting in Microsoft Word.
APA (American Psychological Association) style is most commonly used to cite sources within the social sciences. This resource, revised according to the 6th edition, second printing of the APA manual, offers examples for the general format of APA research papers, in-text citations, endnotes/footnotes, and the reference page. For more information, please consult the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, (6th ed., 2nd printing).
Contributors: Joshua M. Paiz, Elizabeth Angeli, Jodi Wagner, Elena Lawrick, Kristen Moore, Michael Anderson, Lars Soderlund, Allen Brizee, Russell Keck
Last Edited: 2017-10-18 02:48:40
It's always best to consult the Publication Manual first for any APA question. If you are using APA style for a class assignment, it's a good idea to consult your professor, advisor, TA, or other campus resources for help with using APA style—they're the ones who can tell you how the style should apply in your particular case.
Here are some print resources for using APA style. Click The Purdue OWL does not make any profit from nor does it endorse these agencies; links are merely offered for information. Most of these books are probably available in your local library. From the American Psychological Association:
- Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (6th edition) (ISBN 13: 978-1-4338-0561-5; ISBN 10: 1-4338-0561-8)
- Mastering APA Style: Instructor's Resource Guide (ISBN: 1557988900)
- Mastering APA Style: Student's Workbook and Training Guide (ISBN: 143380557X)
- Presenting Your Findings: A Practical Guide for Creating Tables (ISBN: 143380705X)
- Displaying Your Findings: A Practical Guide for Creating Figures, Posters, and Presentations (ISBN: 1433807076X)
From other publishers:
- Writing With Style: APA Style Made Easy (ISBN: 084003167X)
- Writing With Style: APA Style for Social Work (ISBN: 084003198X)